Thursday, August 29, 2013

Citrus Salad

I pinned this refreshing citrus salad a while back but never gotten a chance to try it. The addition of lemongrass in the syrup was very intriguing that I just had to try when I have the chance! So, with some girl friends coming over for lunch, it was a great time to attempt this recipe and see how they like it. A nice cool refreshing salad would be a perfect dish for a hot summer day. The verdict........everyone asked for the recipe.. Score! Even my friend who I just found out do not like grapefruit enjoyed the dish and requested for the recipe. 

I made very little tweak to the recipe overall. The recipe was pretty simple, although segmenting the citruses was a little messy. If you do not know how to segment a citrus, check out this video. Click HERE for the original recipe. The colors of my citrus salad (I blame the ruby grapefruit which wasn't that ruby/pink looking) wasn't as gorgeous as the one posted by the originator of the recipe but rest assured, it's still yummy! =) Here's my tweaked version of the citrus salad. You can also serve this as a dessert....I would! 


CITRUS SALAD RECIPE
*Serves 3-4

Ingredients
  • 1 Ruby Grapefruit, Segmented, Juice Reserved
  • 1 Regular Grapefruit, Segmented, Juice Reserved
  • 2 Naval Oranges, Segmented, Juice Reserved
  • 1 Tangelo, Segmented, Juice Reserved
  • 1/2 Cup Honey
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 2 Stalks Lemongrass, White part only, Cut into 1" pieces
  • 1/2 Vanilla Bean, Split & Scraped
  • Zest of 1/2 Lemon
  • Zest of 1 Lime
  • Mint Leaves for Garnish
Method
Mix the citrus segments in a bow to combine. Cover and chill. In a small saucepan, mix 1 Cup reserved citrus juice with honey, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla pod and seeds. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until honey and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Strain and set aside to let it chill. 

Divide citrus segments into 4 serving cups. Drizzle about 1-2 tbsp of the syrup and garnish with lime zest and mint leaves. Let the salad chill until ready to serve. Enjoy! 


June's Notes: I used about 1/4 tsp of vanilla bean powder since that was what I had. If you do not have vanilla pods, feel free to use about 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract in the mixture. There will be plenty of leftover syrup which you can use for cocktails, drinks or more citrus salad!

Simply June 

1 comment:

Rony said...

What a great salad for summer!! I love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails